Sunday, April 10, 2011

Project 2: Reflective Essay

Matthew Sean Cleveland

Project 2: Reflective Essay

Master of Play

I am kind of selling myself short, but I wouldn’t consider myself as much of a mastermind as Shigeru Miyamoto is. Mostly because of why he is famous (a.k.a. Mario). He had his adventurous upbringing, but up until I was introduced to games (around five years old) was adventurous, but after that, not so much. I remember riding bikes along our neighborhood’s dirt road looking for unexplored locations. Having that imagination that turned everything into anything I wanted. Next to the dirt road is four really old trees that are clustered together that were used as my brother, friends, and I’s clubhouse, but now it doesn’t seem like it could fit me now. Even after being introduced to the Super Nintendo and Shigeru’s best, Super Mario World, I still did a little adventuring. Even now, I try to, but have broadened my places of wonder with the entire city of Ashland. But I don’t know if I would want to create games that are kind of autobiographical, like loving dogs and Nintendogs, gardens and Pikmin, or house arrangement and The Sims. Even though the most loved games are simple, I don’t know if I can think that way.

Ever since starting my junior year of college, I have had mini panic attacks (not serious) about what will happen to me after college? Will I get employed? Will I make enough? So on and so forth. But just reading about Shigeru’s exploits and he was in almost worst case as I am, but I don’t know because then was a different time. Knowing Shigeru turned from an art major with no idea where to go into the “God of Video Games”, shows no bounds to what you can accomplish.

Shigeru has created those games that anybody can enjoy. And enjoy is an understatement. There are few games that are within that range of not being a puzzle (Tetris) or not being bloody gory violently (Resident Evil), which have not been made by Nintendo or developed by Shigeru. Shigeru can either be said as having the weirdest mind or being a mastermind. What does plumbers, mushrooms, turtles, princesses and flowers have in common? Well before Mario, they didn’t have anything in common. Shigeru made them one and made that plumber popular and the most memorable video game character ever.

When the author of the article describes his experience at Nintendo headquarters, I wonder how he got so lucky (well I know why). To be in a great country like Japan, to be at one of the most prestigious video game companies, and especially to be in front of the “God” of video games, is just unimaginable at the least.

Shigeru Miyamoto is known as the “God” of video games for more reasons than just putting Nintendo on the map, but more of his character, his efforts, and his respect for everyone. You don’t see him in the media much for a reason, because he is out there developing new games and inspiring new games for families to enjoy for a lifetime.

No comments: