Sunday, April 3, 2011

DMF 203 Project 1: Reflective Essay

Tennis

Since I was young lad (8 years old to be exact), I always was intrigue by tennis. Tennis was the sport to change my life for the better. It gave me the opportunity to grab something and make it my own, to distinguish myself from every other kid. The game itself is entertaining because to thrill and the constant movement, and imagining intense music playing in the background and being the center of attention (yes, selfish). One of my biggest reasons for playing tennis is being solo. There is doubles, but it isn’t as bad as soccer, baseball, basketball, or football. I like determining my own results in a tennis match. That is why I prefer singles than doubles, because I don’t want my hard work to be cut short by my doubles partner or me to ruin the match for my partner. The game has improved my physical capabilities because of the constant exercise. It has enhanced my mentality because itself is a mental game and proves hard work pays off.

Every time the ball hits your racquet and lands in, you feel a huge sigh of relief, but when your opponent returns the ball, the rush comes back until you are positive you make that ball back in. It is a constant game that tennis plays with your heart. More relief happens when you when a point, but the pressure continues when you realize you have much more to go. The sweat adds coolness and an annoyance as if trying to distract you from your objective. You can’t smell because your nose is either too dry or too moist because it is runny. You taste nothing but saliva until you run out of water and have to dare the dryness of throat. All you can hear is your heart beating and the faint crowd’s noises in between points. The only thing that keeps you going is the words of encouragement and knowing how much effort you gave to get that far. Knowing that you have to test your ability so much mentality and physical, makes the game entirely more exciting and fun.

Before each point, you always comprehend if you have enough skill to win the next point. But once the point starts, you don’t even notice making any movement. Every step seems effortless. You barely feel your arm moving the tennis racquet to smash the ball. It feels so easy besides the waiting to do it.

I really don’t know how this experience will contribute to my design. I am assuming the design is of a video game. I guess tennis will help me find the competition in a game and help me identify certain traits that will add to the entertainment value of the game.

No comments: