Saturday, April 16, 2011

DMF 3 Project 3 Reflective Essay

Matthew Cleveland

DMF 203

Tester! No, Designer.

Tell you the truth. I can’t decide between being a video game tester or a video game designer. It was easy to throw out all the other video game development roles, because I am not very artsy, level design seems to focused, not much for distinguishing sounds and programming can be a pain sometimes. They are both what I have always wanted to do, ever since I knew what video game were. One of my favorite things to do with music, movies, and video games, is to critique, but that is mostly designing, because you critique it your idea that will make the video game good enough. But I guess I will probably enjoy video game designer more than a tester, since video game testers only play the game and look for glitches.

I play tons of video games, from almost all genres and will know what they did wrong to give them a worse rating than what they could have had. That is why I would enjoy the opportunity to be a video game designer, because I could design a game how I want. I could be some of the brains in what made the game, the game. If there is not a good selection of characters, I would design more! If there is a short campaign, I would make it longer! If there is no offline multiplayer, I would design it! There is no reason why a game should be 4 out of 5 stars. It is the designer’s fault if so.

I would love to be the guy that makes sure that the potential clients don’t have the dilemma of wanting to play a game, but hears of it getting bad rating and they don’t know if they should spend the money. I want to be the guy that designs a game that everyone talks about and gives every gamer that need for playing the game.

No comments: